POBNEWS24, Dhaka, May 17, 2026 : Public health experts and doctors have questioned the role of the previous interim government and the current health administration as child deaths due to measles are increasing in Bangladesh. They allege that hundreds of children are losing their lives due to failure to declare a health emergency in time, shortage of vaccines, weak surveillance and negligence in preventive activities.
They made these remarks at a press conference titled ‘Child deaths due to measles: Public health crisis and the way out’ organized by ‘Doctors for Health and Environment’ at the Dhaka Reporters Unity in the capital on Saturday afternoon. They said that the government cannot avoid responsibility for the deaths of more than 400 children.
Meanwhile, two more children died of measles symptoms in the previous 24 hours till 8 am on Sunday. With this, the number of deaths due to measles and measles symptoms in the country since March 15 has reached 453. Of these, 74 people have died from measles confirmed in the test, and 379 have died with measles symptoms.
Former General Secretary of the organization Dr. MH Farooqui said that the government’s administrative failure in dealing with the measles outbreak is clear. Those responsible for negligence must be identified and held accountable and punished. He said that according to the statement of UNICEF Bangladesh Representative (Acting) Stanley Guabuia, complications in purchasing vaccines, delays in disease surveillance reports, reduced immunity of the population and lack of vitamin ‘A’ campaign have made the current situation more dire.
Dr. Farooqui also said that ensuring preventive healthcare is the responsibility of the state. However, the health system has become weak due to lack of necessary funds. Special emphasis should be given to the health sector from the next budget.
Public health expert Dr. Mushtaq Hossain said that ICU facilities for children should be increased in hospitals to reduce mortality. In addition, high-flow oxygen supply and rapid prevention of infected people are essential.
Another public health expert Dr. Lelin Chowdhury said that when an infectious disease is declared a public health emergency, the World Health Organization also gives special importance to the issue. However, since that declaration was not made in Bangladesh, affected children have been deprived of their essential health rights.
At the press conference, 15 demands were made, including 100% vaccination of children, regular distribution of vitamin ‘A’ capsules, treatment at government expense, opening of ‘measles corners’ in all government hospitals, and ensuring adequate medicines and medical equipment.
77 percent of children in Mymensingh are not of age to be vaccinated
Of the children who died of measles at Mymensingh Medical College (MMEC) Hospital, about 77 percent were under 9 months old. That is, they were infected before they came under the government vaccination program.
According to hospital data, out of the 31 children who died, 24 were between zero and 9 months old. Of these, 18 were boys and 6 were girls. In addition, four children aged 10 to 15 months and two more children over 15 months died. The age of one was not available.
Dr. Mohd. Golam Mawla, associate professor of the Department of Pediatrics and focal person of the Measles Isolation Ward, said that the ICU was very necessary at this time. If it had been there, so many children would not have died.
Meanwhile, on Saturday, a protest rally was held at Paltan intersection in the capital demanding the arrest and trial of Dr. Yunus, Nurjahan Begum and others responsible for the deaths of more than 400 children infected with measles.
Under the chairmanship of Bangladesh Youth Union Central President Youth Leader Khan Asaduzzaman Masum, and moderated by Central Organizing Secretary Youth Leader Shahin Bhuiyan, the protest rally was addressed by General Secretary Youth Leader Jahangir Alam Nannu, Presidium Member Youth Leader Chowdhury Josen, Dhaka Metropolitan North President Youth Leader Iran Molla, Dhaka Metropolitan South Organizing Secretary Youth Leader Rafizul Islam Rafiq, Publicity and Publication Secretary Youth Leader Shakharov Hossain Sebak, among others.
The speakers at the protest rally said – We learned from our childhood textbooks that “in a superstitious society, villages used to be devastated by cholera, diarrhea, measles, and smallpox.” These are things that are read in textbooks. In reality, due to the advancement of medical science, all these diseases are no longer epidemics. But during the interim government, a blueprint for planned infanticide was drawn up. The interim government canceled regular vaccination programs to increase children’s immunity. As a result, measles has now spread in the form of an epidemic! Former interim head Dr. Yunus, former health advisor Nurjahan Begum, and all those involved in the planned infanticide should be arrested and brought to justice quickly. The speakers also said – The members of parliament elected to solve the people’s crisis are making fun of the people in the great parliament. At present, when measles is visible as a national health disaster, the parliament is silent about it! The government opposition is silent about all conspiracies and trade agreements against the country. Demands were made for the immediate transformation of the people’s aspirations into the National Parliament, including special treatment arrangements for affected children, and for the government to bear the cost of treating children affected by measles.






