Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Bangla
Follow Us
Pob News 24
POBNEWS24 | The Politics of Bangladesh online Version | Reg No: 26/98
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • International
  • Sports
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Information & Technology
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • International
  • Sports
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Information & Technology
No Result
View All Result
Pob News 24
Bangla
No Result
View All Result
Home International

Intense Israeli bombing rocks Beirut ahead of war anniversary

pobnews24 by pobnews24
October 6, 2024
in International
0
Intense Israeli bombing rocks Beirut ahead of war anniversary
0
SHARES
17
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

POBNEWS24, Dhaka` Oct 6, 2024 : A huge fireball lit up the night sky and plumes of smoke rose over south Beirut early Sunday as Israel unleashed intense air strikes targeting Hezbollah, nearly a year since the Gaza war erupted.

Israeli forces were on high alert ahead of Monday’s anniversary of Hamas’s October 7 attack, which sparked the war.

After a devastating year-long conflict in Gaza, Israel has now shifted its focus to northwards to Hezbollah, Hamas’s Iran-backed ally in Lebanon.

Lebanon’s official National News Agency said the Hezbollah stronghold in south Beirut was hit by more than 30 strikes, which were heard across the city. Targets included a petrol station.

Israel’s military said it “conducted a series of strikes on a number of weapons storage facilities” and infrastructure, stressing it had taken “numerous steps were taken to mitigate the risk of harming civilians”.

AFPTV footage showed a massive fireball over a residential area of south Beirut, followed by a loud bang and secondary explosions. Smoke still billowed from the site after dawn.

In the Sabra area, near the southern suburbs, dozens of people, some carrying bags on foot and others on motorbikes, fled one of the most intense bombardments of the Israel-Hezbollah war.

Hezbollah said it targeted Israeli forces with artillery after they tried to infiltrate towards Khallat Shuaib in Blida, in southern Lebanon.
A statement said fighters fired a rocket barrage at Israeli troops during the evacuation of “dead and wounded soldiers” in the Menara border area shortly after midnight.

Hezbollah also said it launched assault drones against an Israeli military base.

– ‘Ongoing threat’ –

Ahead of Monday’s grim anniversary, Israeli military spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said at a televised briefing: “We are prepared with increased forces in anticipation for this day”, when there could be “attacks on the home front”.

Last year’s unprecedented October 7 attack on Israel by Palestinian militants resulted in the deaths of 1,205 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures that include hostages killed in captivity.

One year later, Israel’s war in Gaza against Hamas continues despite having shifted its focus to Lebanon and Hezbollah.

Israel’s military said it had killed around 440 Hezbollah fighters “from the ground and from the air” since Monday, when troops began “targeted” ground operations against Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Israel says it aims to allow tens of thousands of Israelis displaced by almost a year of Hezbollah rocket fire into northern Israel to return home.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog called Iran an “ongoing threat” after Tehran, which backs armed groups across the Middle East, on Tuesday launched around 200 missiles at Israel in revenge for Israeli killings of militant leaders including Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah.

The missile attack killed a Palestinian in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and damaged an Israeli air base, according to satellite images.

It came the same day Israeli ground forces began their raids into Lebanon after days of intense strikes on Hezbollah strongholds across Lebanon.
– ‘Resistance won’t back down’ –

One Israeli military official, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to discuss the issue publicly, said the army “is preparing a response” to Iran’s attack.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu noted Iran had twice launched “hundreds of missiles” at Israel since April.

“Israel has the duty and the right to defend itself and to respond to these attacks and that is what we will do,” he said in a statement.
Netanyahu’s critics accuse him of obstructing efforts to reach a Gaza ceasefire and deal to free hostages still held by Hamas.

A senior Hezbollah source said Saturday the group had lost contact with Hashem Safieddine, widely tipped to be the next Hezbollah leader, after air strikes in Beirut.

The movement is yet to name a new chief after Israel assassinated Nasrallah late last month in a massive strike in Lebanon’s capital.

Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Friday that “the resistance in the region will not back down”.

Late Saturday Israel issued a new order for residents of southern Beirut to evacuate.

Across Lebanon, strikes against Hezbollah have killed more than 1,110 people since September 23, according to a tally based on official figures.

– ‘Never-ending nightmare’ –

UN’s refugee agency head Filippo Grandi said Lebanon “faces a terrible crisis” and warned “hundreds of thousands of people are left destitute or displaced by Israeli air strikes”.

Israeli bombardment has put at least four hospitals in Lebanon out of service, the facilities said.

The UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon said it rejected a request by the Israeli military to “relocate some of our positions” in south Lebanon.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in Damascus Saturday after visiting Beirut, renewed his call for ceasefires in both Gaza and Lebanon, while threatening Israel with an “even stronger” reaction to any attack on Iran.

French President Emmanuel Macron said it was time “that we stop delivering weapons to fight in Gaza” and criticised Israel’s decision to send ground troops into Lebanon.

US, Qatari and Egyptian mediators tried unsuccessfully for months to reach a Gaza truce and secure the release of 97 hostages still held there.

Gaza’s civil defence agency said Sunday an Israeli strike on a mosque-turned-shelter in central Deir al-Balah killed 21 people, while Israel’s military said it had targeted Hamas militants.

Israel’s retaliatory military offensive has killed at least 41,825 people in Gaza, the majority of them civilians, according to figures provided by the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry and described as reliable by the UN.

Ahead of the October 7 anniversary, thousands joined pro-Palestinian rallies in London, Paris, Cape Town and other cities.

Israel’s President Herzog said his country’s October 7 “wounds still cannot fully heal”.

Previous Post

Obaidul Quader-Nanak-Harun arrested after receiving information: RAB

Next Post

India is concerned about the security of minorities in Bangladesh

pobnews24

pobnews24

Next Post
India is concerned about the security of minorities in Bangladesh

India is concerned about the security of minorities in Bangladesh

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search

No Result
View All Result

News Categories

  • ACC
  • Analysis
  • Aviation
  • Bangladesh
  • BNP
  • Business & Economy
  • City
  • Climate & Envirnment
  • Columan
  • Commentary
  • Court
  • Court Report
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Defence
  • Defense
  • Development
  • Diplomatic
  • District
  • Drug
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Exclusive
  • Finance
  • Food & Beverage
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • India
  • Information & Technology
  • International
  • Interview
  • Islamic life
  • ISPR
  • KOLKATA
  • MEDIA
  • Memory
  • Myanmar
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Parliament
  • Police
  • Politics
  • Power & Energy
  • Religion
  • Report
  • Rohingya
  • Rohingyas
  • SAARC
  • SCIENCE
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • UN
  • United Nations
  • United States
  • USAID
  • Women
  • Women Health
  • World
  • World Bank

Archives

  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • June 2023
  • May 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • December 2022
  • November 2022
  • October 2022
  • September 2022
  • August 2022
  • July 2022
  • June 2022
  • May 2022
  • April 2022
  • March 2022
  • February 2022
  • January 2022
  • December 2021
  • November 2021
  • October 2021
  • September 2021
  • August 2021
  • July 2021
  • June 2021
  • May 2021
  • April 2021
  • March 2021
  • February 2021
  • January 2021
  • December 2020
  • November 2020

Recent News

Buffalo named ‘Donald Trump’ in Bangladesh, crowd eager to see the warlord

Buffalo named ‘Donald Trump’ in Bangladesh, crowd eager to see the warlord

May 18, 2026
Indian High Commissioner Pranay Verma meets Bangladesh Home Minister and Law Minister separately

Pranay Verma has controlled the situation with a cool head and a smile during challenging times in Bangladesh

May 17, 2026
Qatar Labor Minister in Dhaka on Two-Day Visit

Qatar Labor Minister in Dhaka on Two-Day Visit

May 17, 2026
Child deaths due to measles in Bangladesh: Public health experts and doctors question the role of the administration

Child deaths due to measles in Bangladesh: Public health experts and doctors question the role of the administration

May 17, 2026
Attack on Hazrat Shah Ali (RA) shrine in Dhaka’s Mirpur, CPB demands punishment for those involved

Attack on Hazrat Shah Ali (RA) shrine in Dhaka’s Mirpur, CPB demands punishment for those involved

May 15, 2026

POB NEWS 24

Editor : MIR AFROZ ZAMAN
59, Sonargaon Janapath, Sector -7
Uttara Dhaka-1230 Bangladesh
Phone : 880248951749
Mobile: 88-01715819316
Email : afroz_zaman2001@yahoo.com
NewsDesk Email : unibangladesh7@gmail.com

Browse by Category

  • ACC
  • Analysis
  • Aviation
  • Bangladesh
  • BNP
  • Business & Economy
  • City
  • Climate & Envirnment
  • Columan
  • Commentary
  • Court
  • Court Report
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Defence
  • Defense
  • Development
  • Diplomatic
  • District
  • Drug
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Exclusive
  • Finance
  • Food & Beverage
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • India
  • Information & Technology
  • International
  • Interview
  • Islamic life
  • ISPR
  • KOLKATA
  • MEDIA
  • Memory
  • Myanmar
  • National
  • Opinion
  • Parliament
  • Police
  • Politics
  • Power & Energy
  • Religion
  • Report
  • Rohingya
  • Rohingyas
  • SAARC
  • SCIENCE
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • UN
  • United Nations
  • United States
  • USAID
  • Women
  • Women Health
  • World
  • World Bank

Recent News

Buffalo named ‘Donald Trump’ in Bangladesh, crowd eager to see the warlord

Buffalo named ‘Donald Trump’ in Bangladesh, crowd eager to see the warlord

May 18, 2026
Indian High Commissioner Pranay Verma meets Bangladesh Home Minister and Law Minister separately

Pranay Verma has controlled the situation with a cool head and a smile during challenging times in Bangladesh

May 17, 2026

@ 2016-2020 All Rights Reserved POBNEWS24.NET

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • International
  • Sports
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Information & Technology

@ 2016-2020 All Rights Reserved POBNEWS24.NET